Radley History Club logo Archives: Manor, Park and College
   

About this topic
This category covers: Radley and Sugworth manors and their lords; all material about the Stonhouse and Bowyer families and about Radley College; and material about Radley manor house, park and grounds, but not about land let to others (which is in the Farms and land category).

 
Entry
Type
Code no.
Radley College land ownership - photocopy of sketch map printed in The History of Radley College 1847-1947 by A.K. Boyd, showing the acreages and dates of acquisition of land owned by the College in 1947. Map M.25
The History of Radley College 1847-1947 by A.K. Boyd. Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1948. with dust jacket, formerly belonging to Joy Alexander, founder of the Radley History Club. Book B.15
No Ordinary Place. Radley College and the Public School System 1847-1997 by Christopher Hibbert. John Murray, London, 1997. Book B.16
Fifty Years of St Peter’s College, Radley by Revd T.D. Raikes and other Old Radleians. James Parker & Co. Oxford and London. 1897. Book B.20
Wood's Radley College Diary (1855-1861), ed. Mark Spurrell, Oxfordshire Record Society, Vol. 70, 2016 Book B.150
Radley College – Treasures of the Library and Archives in an Exhibition. Catalogue of the books and documents exhibited by the College in July 2006. Book B.54
Bertrand and Alys Russell in Bagley Wood by Robert S. Sephton, published by the Author, 2007. (Presented by the author, February 2007). For Robert Sephton’s Research Report relating to ‘Halshanger’, Bagley Wood Road, Kennington, once owned by Bertrand Russell, see Documents, D.88. Book B.57
Richard Edward Eason. A tapestry of facts and memories. Presented by Beverly Roger, the daughter of Josephine Roger. Second copy presented by Robert Sephton. Book B.97
Sir George Bowyer QC, MP, Knight of Malta, by Dorothy A. Hefferman, Abbey Press, Abingdon, 1983. Book B.148
Note of items in the Radley College archives which are of interest to the Radley History Club. Compiled by Stanley Baker following a visit to Radley College and a meeting with their archivist on 28 November 2007. Document D.143
Radley College Gaudy 1997, Saturday 5 July, The 150th Anniversary. 10pp. Introduction by Richard Morgan, the Warden, and descriptions of the Fireworks Concert, Programme, and Some Highlights of the Academic Year 1996/7. Document D.157
Radley Personalities – Profiles of Radley People by Brian Mott, Editor of Radley News, published in the magazine, as follows:
2000. Eric Blanks (April), Stanley Baker (May), Jenny Buzzard (June), Doug Rawlinson (July), Christine Usherwood (August), Eddie Cavanagh (September), Gordon Hill (October), Dot Hewlett (November), David Buckle (December).
2001. Joy Riley (January), Tony Rogerson (February), Paddy Drysdale (March), Brian Mott (by Stanley Baker, April), May and Harry Nye (May), David Beckett (June), Lily Hadland (July), Denis Standen (August), Dick and Sue Crabb (September), Ann Farr (October), Ron and Una Woodley (November), Alan Clark (December).
2002. Ann Blake (January), John Homewood (February), Maureen Cook (March), Avril Coleman (April), Peter King (May), Rosemary Hardwick (June), Chris Gasson (July), Mel and Liz Turner (August), Derek Nutt (September), Jeff Grimes (October), Carol Cavanagh (November), Revd. Jock Fletcher Campbell (December).2003. Rita Holmes (January), Dominique Henderson (February).
Document D.162
Printed copy of a report of a meeting of the Bowyer Union & Ivey Lodge [Odd Fellows] on 28 June [1983] concerning the Centenary of the death of Sir George Bowyer (1810-1883) and the unveiling of a plaque to his memory at St Edmunds Roman Catholic Church in Abingdon, which he built.  Presented by Doug Rawlinson, 2005. Document D.175
Extract from Patent Roll of 2 Elizabeth [1], 3rd Part, [1559] being the Grant of the Lordship and Manor of Radley to George Stonhouse, Clerk, for £938.0s.12d. Copy of copy document belonging to Radley Primary School. Document D.183.1
Article in the Centenary Radleian by V.H. entitled 'Radley before 1847', referring mainly to the Stonhouse and Bowyer connections with Radley College [1947]. Copy of copy document belonging to Radley Primary School. . Document D.183.2
Photocopies of Stonhouse documents relating to Radley, as follows:
(i) Lease of land at Radley, 1676.
(ii) Deed relating to land at Radley 1676/77.
(iii)(a) Interrogatories and Depositions in Chancery dated 5 December 1570 in a dispute between George Stonhouse and William Blacknall over rights at Nyetts Ford and Sheepwash Eyot, Radley.
(iii)(b) Extracts from Monk’s Map used in the Court case (presented by Brian Ford).
(iv)(a) Letters Patent of Queen Elizabeth I dated 28 January 1559/60 granting the Manor of Radley and Sugworth etc. to George Stonhouse (Latin text). (b) Translation of the main part of the Latin text.
(v) Deed dated 20 May 1664 between Cornelius Burton and others (1) and Sir George Stonhouse and others (2), being a reconveyance to Sir George of Radley and Sugworth Manors free from trusts created by deeds in 1653.
(vi) Lease for a year of the Manors of Radley and Sugworth, dated 27 September 1669 between Sir George Stonhouse (1) and Sir Thomas Bludworth and Roger Chappell (2).
(vii) Lease for a year of the Manors of Radley and Sugworth dated 5 September 1666 between Sir George Stonhouse (1) and Paul Dorrell and James Heron (2).
(viii) Final Concord 1678 between Sir John Stonhouse and George Stonhouse relating to the Manors of Radley and Sugworth.
(xiii) Deed of Settlement dated 3rd February 1664 [1664/65] relating to the Manor of Radley and premises in Sugworth, settled for 99 years in trust for Dame Margaret Stonhouse, wife of Sir George, in lieu of her jointure.
(ix) Memorandum re the settlement of the Radley, Sugworth etc. estates by the will of Sir William Stonhouse and the settlement and entail of the estates on the marriage of Sir George Stonhouse and Margaret Lovelace, 1653.
(x)  Deed of Settlement 1664 of the manors of Radley and Sugworth, etc.
(xi) Final Concord 1658 by Sir George Stonhouse and others relating to messuages and land at Radley.
(xii) Common Recovery relating to Radley and Sugworth Manors 13 April 1664. Latin text with English transcription by Stanley Baker.
(xiii) Deed of Settlement dated 3 February 1664 [1664/65] relating to the Manor of Radley and premises in Sugworth, settled for 99 years in trust for Dame Margaret Stonhouse, wife of Sir George, in lieu of her jointure.
These copy documents were purchased by Stanley Baker from the Berkshire Record Office in August 2010 and presented by him with his transcriptions.
Document D.205
‘The Bowyer Family’ - a short talk by John Homewood, delivered to the History Club in September 2002. [MISSING] Document D.21
The Library – A Guide for families and staff. Information leaflet about Radley College Library. Presented by Robert Sephton, October 2010. Document D.210
Note from Judy Scull about the Vigor and Stonhouse and the Stonhouse Vigor families. Document D.220
Photocopy of Disentailing Deed dated 11 May 1804 between Sir George Bowyer (1) Harry Maddock (2) and Samuel Sellwood (3) relating to the Manors of Radley, Sugworth and Northcourt. Presented by Christine Wootton, 10 March 2011. Transcription compiled by Stanley Baker. Document D.235.1
Copy of article entitled The Cottage – 1559-1971 by Hugh Cardwell of Radley College, published in The Radleian, 1971. 3pp including three illustrations. Copied from copy loaned by Brian Ford, September 2012. Document D.239
Article by Richard Dudding entitled The Cottage, Radley College, dated 18 October 2012. 16 pp including 12 photos and illustrations and, as an annex, English Heritage Listing Text. Presented by the author. For photos taken by Richard Dudding and Christine Wootton on 13 August 2012 see Photographs P.209. Document D.240
Report of the talk entitled 'Radley in 100 objects' given by Clare Sargent to  Radley History Club on 9 September 2013 Document D.242.11
Copy of Article by John Dunleavy entitled Bowyer Folly: The Formative Years of St Edmund’s, Abingdon. 9pp. Presented by Robert Sephton, September 2012. Document D.243
Clerk of the Green Cloth
(a) Documents relating to the Green Cloth Department of the Royal Household, including information about George Stonhouse of Radley, Clerk in about 1558 and John Shaw of Northants who was Master of the Board of Green Cloth in the early 18th century.
(i) Article on the Officers of the Green Cloth published by The Institute of Historical Research with provisional lists 1485-1646 compiled by J.C. Sainty, June 1999.
(ii) Article on the Clerks of the Green Cloth published in Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerk_of_the_Green_Cloth (accessed March 2015)
(b) Documents relating to the Radley Clerk of the Green Cloth, created in 1983.
For audio only see discs A.74 and A.85; for film see discs A.12, A.19 and A.28.
Document D.265
Sir George Bowyer - Article copied from The Catholic Encyclopaedia, 16 March 2000. Presented by Patrick Drysdale, 2002. Document D.273
Cutting from the Daily Mail 1947, being a report of the visit of Princess Elizabeth to Radley College on the occasion of its centenary.  celebrations. Donated by Mary Shayler, March 2004. Document D.37.2
Return of Owners of Land 1873, presented to both Houses of Parliament, 1875. Copy of first two pages of Volume 1, showing entry for Sir George Bowyer of Radley Park. Document D.42
The Stonhouse Family. Copies of documents supplied to David Beckett of Radley at the end of 2000 by Sir Michael Stonhouse, Bart., of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, and copied with his permission for the Radley History Club, comprising the following (two copies of each): (A) Stonhouse Family Tree (27 pp); (B) Stonhouse Family History (15 pp); (Ba) History Notes (14 pp); (Bb) History Appendices (3 pp); (C) Places with Family Connections; (D) Transcription and translation of Plaque above the Stonhouse monument in Radley Church (4pp). [Inaccurate and not to be relied on. See Document D.6 for a more accurate transcription and translation]; (E) Article about Rev. Sir Michael Stonhouse in The Star Phoenix newspaper, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on 16 September 2000. Document D.5
Stonhouse Monument in Radley Church. Transcription and Translation of Latin text of Plaque above the monument, by Stanley Baker. November 2000. Document D.6
Extracts relating to Radley from Two Cartularies of Abingdon Abbey, Vol. II. Edited by the late Gabrielle Lambrick and C.F. Slade. Oxford Historical Society, Vol. XXXIII. Document D.72
Extract from The History of Radley College 1847-1947 by A.K. Boyd, showing the College Land in 1947. For the complete book see Books B.15. Document D.74
Reproduction in booklet form of the Bowyer Exhibition of documents and pictures mounted at Radley Fete by Radley History Club on 25 June 2005 (2 copies). Document D.75
Photocopy of a bond or obligation dated 7 July 1813 between George Gardner of St Clements, Oxford, and Sir George Bowyer of Radley re Arbitration Award to be made by Francis (?) Jones of Woodstock to settle disputes between them. Also transcription by Stanley Baker. Presented by Rita and Brian Ford. Document D.79
Historical Manuscripts Commission, National Register of Archives. Copies of the Register entries for records of the Stonhouse Family of Radley and Bowyer Family of Denham Court, Bucks. Document D.8
Copy documents relating mainly to the Bowyer family presented by Robert Sephton as follows:
(i) Extract from The Radleian (Radley College magazine) 1986, being an article by Hugh Cardwell (retired science teacher at Radley College) entitled Capability Brown at Radley - Part 1, His Work at Radley
(ii) Extract from The Radleian, 1987, being a continuation of Hugh Cardwell’s article referred to in (i) above, entitled Capability Brown at Radley ~ Part II, The Influence of his Work on the Subsequent History of this Estate. This article gives detailed information of Sir George Bowyer’s failed project to find coal at Bayworth and build a canal to the River Thames across his land in 1813-1814. Includes a map
(iii) Article by Robert Sephton on the Bowyer family and Sir George Bowyer’s dealings in 1813-1814 with Sutton Thomas Wood, the engineer for the abortive coal and canal project detailed in (ii) above
(iv) Notes by Robert Sephton on Treatise on Gypsum on the Various Uses and on its Application as a Manure by Sutton Thomas Wood, 1807 (see (iii) above)
(v) Extract from The Catholic Encyclopaedia 1907, being the entry for Sir George Bowyer, 1811-1883 (with a note by Robert Sephton that there is no similar Bowyer entry in the new (2003) edition)
(vi) Extract from the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004, being the entry for Sir George Bowyer, 1st Baronet of Radley, 1740-1800.
Document D.83            
Copy cuttings from various publications relating to Radley College beagles:
(i) Obituary article (source and date unknown) about Jim Rickards, Radley College master, who ran beagling at the College
(ii) Copy article from The Field, January 1987
(iii) Copy article from Young Guardian, 18 March 1987
(iv) Copy article from Horse and Hound, 15 November 1990
(v) Copy article from Horse and Hound, 2 February 2006, entitled 'Feature on Radley College – Operation Beagles Too'. Presented by Brian and Rita Ford, August 2006.
Document D.95
Radley Oak, Radley College. June 2000. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.19
Spectators at the bridge over the Thames at Sandford-on-Thames watching Radley College rowing races. (Taunt Collection). In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.31
Radley College Staff (no date) Copied from original owned by Mary Shayler. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.35
Radley College Beagles at Park Farm, Radley, 24 November 1999. 4 copies. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. Photo P.62(12)-(15)
Radley College Beagles at the College, 2000. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.62(16)
The Lake, Radley College, 2003. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.62(19)
Radley College Chapel, 2003. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.62(20)
Dining Hall, Radley College, 2003. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.62(21)
The Mansion House, Radley College, 2003. From the Dick Deane Collection: copies of photos loaned by the late Dick Deane of Park Farm House, Radley. In Photograph Album containing Photographs P.1 to P.62. Photo P.62(22)
Copy of portrait of Admiral Sir George Bowyer, Bart., by G.H. Every (after Sir Joshua Reynolds). Purchased from National Portrait Gallery. Photo P.76
Photograph of portrait of Admiral Sir George Bowyer, owned by Abingdon Town Council. Photo P.77
Colour photo of rainwater drainage tunnel at Radley College, 5 April 2006. Taken by Brian Ford. Photo P.86
Radley College from the air (Radley College postcard, c.1950). Presented by Derek Hart, Pebble Hill, Radley, 2004. Photo P.145.1
Photo of the inside of Radley College Laundry, c.1950, together with a note describing the contents of the photo and other information. Presented by Derek Hart, Pebble Hill, Radley, 2004. Photo P.145.3
Two photos of machinery in Radley College Steam Laundry, c.1950 (also enlarged copies). Presented by Derek Hart, Pebble Hill, Radley, 2004. Photo P.145.4
Three colour photos of The Cottage, Radley College, July 2012. Presented by Brian Ford. Photo P.181
Two colour photos taken at the Coach and Horses of Sir Michael Stonhouse (from Canada) and his two sons.  Presented by Denis Standen. Photo P.186.2
The Cottage, Radley College. Photos taken by Christine Wootton and Richard Dudding on 13 August 2012. Disk presented by them October 2012. For an article by Richard Dudding entitled The Cottage, Radley College see Documents D.240. Photo P.209
Old postcards of Radley College. 8 photos and 3 backs. Presented by Abingdon Archaeological and Historical Society, March 2013. Photo P.214
Royal Glimpses. Made to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Radley College. Filmed between 1995 and 1997, and featuring the Royal Visit on Thursday 27th November 1997. Copied from tape owned by Doug Rawlinson. Audiovisual A.9
Radley at Christmas 1998. Carol Service at Radley College Saturday 12th December; Carol Service at Radley College Sunday 13th December; College Concert on Sunday 13th December.  Copied from tape owned by Doug Rawlinson. Audiovisual A.10

List of archive subject categories

About the archives

 

Accessibility