Radley History Club logo

Radley Church

   

Radley Church, dedicated to the apostle St James the Great, stands on the site of an earlier Norman or even Saxon building which was reputedly destroyed by fire. The current building was consecrated around 1300AD. The Church contains a fine Norman pillared font, dating from the 13th century. This was retrieved for the Church in 1840 from the farmyard opposite, where it had been buried to escape Civil War damage.

There are many other treasures in the church, such as the piscina, the Stonhouse monument, the pulpit canopy and the reredos – all described in the Radley History Club book, St James the Great: The Story of a Village Church. A further publication, Faith and Heraldry, describes the fine stained glass and its history.

Radley Church is part of the Abingdon deanery in the Diocese of Oxford, which covers Berkshire, Buckingham and Oxfordshire. On 1 March 2014, the Abingdon deanery moved from the Archdeaconry of Berkshire to the Archdeaconry of Dorchester, a new archdeaconry made up of four 'old Berkshire' deaneries (Abingdon, Wallingford, Wantage and Vale of White Horse) and all the deaneries within the Archdeaconry of Oxford except for Cowley and Oxford. This change aligned the diocese's four archdeaconries of Oxford, Buckingham, Dorchester and Reading more closely with local authority areas.

Timeline of Radley Church

Radley Church today

 
Parish Church of St  james the Great, Radley
 
Back to About Radley

 

 

 

 

Accessibility