Radley History Club logo Timeline of Radley Church: New Influences 1830–1910
   
 
Wider Events
Founders of the Oxford Movement c.1835
Sir George Bowyer 1811-1883
Founders of the Oxford Movement c.1835
Sir George Bowyer 1811-1883

The Oxford Movement, a revival with High Anglican beliefs, had a big local influence as the century progressed. Bishop Wilberforce of Oxford, the founders of Radley College and Radley vicars Gore and Nash were all adherents. So also was Bowyer, who made Radley’s church more ornate and later converted to Catholicism.

Bishop Wilberforce of Oxford 1845-1869
Trollope's Bishop Proudie of Barsetshire and his wife c.1860
Bishop Wilberforce of Oxford 1845-1869
Trollope's Bishop Proudie of Barsetshire and his wife c.1860

Reforming bishops began to exercise more control over the character and quality of clergy in their dioceses. Wilberforce clashed with Radley College and George Bowyer over the appointment of Radley’s vicars. The fictional Proudie and his wife (the ‘real bishop’) were ‘low’ Anglicans but of a similar mind over appointments.

Events in Radley

1847

Radley (then St Peter’s) College founded. The founders’ High Anglicanism put them at odds with Radley’s vicar, John Radcliffe.

1840s

George Bowyer donates to the Church fine choir stalls and stained glass. These would have transformed what was then a plain village church. Bowyer (later Sir George) was another high Anglican and he later converted to Roman Catholicism.

1868

Radley College purchases from Sir George Bowyer the right to appoint the vicar. The College’s first three appointments were their own wardens (headmasters). They relied heavily on Edward Barber, curate, for day to day duties. The College’s right of independent appointment was unsuccessfully contested by Bishop Wilberforce of Oxford.

1869

Vicarage expanded by construction of a new building and connecting corridor. This was used for College as well as parish purposes.

1872

New village school building constructed.

1877

Church porch built.

1893-94

Charles Gore vicar, the first to be instituted by the Bishop. He was a founder of the (high Anglican) Community of the Resurrection, who took up residence in the new wing of the Vicarage.

1895

Plans drawn up by F C Eden for modifications to the Church interior in a style associated with the Oxford Movement. These were not implemented.

1897

Mary Bowyer donates land to the east of the Church, including the site of the former smithy.

1902

Major restoration of the Church by C Oldrid Scott following the discovery of structural problems. Four-year campaign to raise the necessary funds.

1903

Organ restored in memory of Edwin Monk.

1910

Reredos erected in Oxford Movement style.

Next period

Timeline index

 

Accessibility Privacy policy